Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Sometimes You End Up at the Pizza Buffet

My favorite running quote is from Patti Sue Plummer a US Olympic runner:

"Workouts are like brushing my teeth; 
I don't think about them, I just do them. 
The decision has already been made."

Motivation to run is a difficult thing to come up with day after day over years and years of running.  I think that everybody comes up with different ways to get out the door.

A long time ago, when I first started running, I just ran for basic fitness.  I would leave my apartment with the goal running across campus, around the football stadium, and back.  No long term goal.  I had never signed up for a 5k.  I had never competed in any type of race at all.  At some point I started using my watch to time these runs - but that was later.

As a result it didn't take much to convince me to do something else.

Around this time, I started dating a really cute red head.  I mentioned something about running and she talked me into going for a run together.  It turns out that she is a much better runner than me - but that's another story.  We went for a run together and then started running together once or twice a week.

We would start from her apartment and make a big loop around campus.  One day my motivation was really low:

"I don't think I really want to do this." I said as we took our first few steps.

"What?"

"My legs are dead and I'm kinda hungry." Now we are halfway across the parking lot and moving slower.

She looks kind of relieved "I don't feel it today either.  What do you want to do?"

"Let's go get something to eat." I say as we reach the curb and stop to talk about it.

"....Ok....Where do you want to go?"

I take my car keys out and we move away from the street and towards my car.  "How about Mr. Gattis?"

"Todd!!!  You're horrible.... Let's go."

Our run changed into a trip to the pizza buffet.  For months after that we would often joke at the beginning of runs if we should instead go eat some pizza, but we never did it again.  It ended up being a source of motivation a reminder of what not to do.

"The decision has already been made, except when you decide to go to the pizza buffet." - Todd

No comments:

Post a Comment