Thursday, April 19, 2012

Shirtless on Gattis School Road

If you ever saw a tanned, well muscled dude without his shirt, running during the lunch hour on Gattis School Road in Round Rock circa 2002 to 2006 - it was not me.

I was the pale guy with the SPF 70 sun block running  somewhat slower than the shirtless guy up and down those same hills.  The shirtless guy who seemed to get lots of attention from passing cars was Patrick.  At least I think that's what his name was. I only knew him through seeing him out running on Gattis School road.  He actually was the one who showed me the route - that was used by lots of us lunchtime runners.  You simply left the Dell campus on Greenlawn Blvd headed North, then turn East on Gattis School and go until you have to turn back due to time or boredom or energy.  A simple out and back.

I must have run that same course at least 200 times over a few years.  The whole road is rolling hills. And the best part was that the top of the biggest hill was almost exactly at the three mile mark - perfect for a six mile run.



That last hill is at least a half mile of steady uphill (see picture).  When you reach the top and turn around to go back, you can see practically the whole city (Round Rock is bigger than you think, but yes I get the irony).  I sometimes felt like Rocky going up that hill and just wanted to raise my arms in triumph at the top.  Then turn around and have a very fast run to the bottom.

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. He got promoted and moved to Nashville. Anybody spot him running there? I was still running that same route for a few years after he left - with my shirt on.

      Delete