Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Heat Insanity

When I walk out of the air conditioning and into the Texas summer heat, the first thing that I usually think of is how great it would be to go for a run.  I know that there is something wrong with me, but running in the heat is something that I like to do.

The heat doesn't help my speed - I run slower when it is hot - but I do enjoy it.  I'm not exactly sure why.  I also don't really go for long runs in the heat - just a few miles - so I don't get dehydrated.

To illustrate exactly how intense this sickness is for me, let me point to two extreme runs that I did last year.

At the beginning of the year I was in the mountains of New Mexico.  There was snow on the ground and the temperature was hovering around freezing.  I decided to go for a run at about 4 in the afternoon.  It got colder as I ran, with a reading of around 17 when I got back to the house.  This is the run that I most dislike. Ever.  There was no heat involved.

In late August, the day that I flew out to VMworld, I went for a run just after lunch.  The weather guy on the radio station I was listening to came on and said the temperature was 104.  I was at least in the shade for a good part of this run.  This day ended up being the hottest day in Austin history. I loved this run and felt great afterwards. Tons O Heat = Good Run.


No comments:

Post a Comment